How Do Veneers Make Crooked Teeth Look Straight?
Veneers, also called porcelain veneers, are thin, tooth-colored ceramic dental materials cemented on the surface of your natural teeth. Their main purpose is to hide unpleasant dental issues. For example, placing dental veneers n crooked teeth does improve the teeth’ appearance, although it doesn’t treat crookedness.
Therefore, note that veneers at Great Lakes Dental Associates are mostly issued for aesthetic purposes and cannot treat the cause of your dental issues like poor bite mechanics. Read along to know when porcelain veneers are a good solution for correcting poor teeth appearance.
Different Types of Dental Veneers
Porcelain veneers – The dentist grinds your teeth first then makes an impression of the prepared teeth. The mold is sent to the lab for processing of the veneer.
After readying the veneer, they place it on the already ready tooth and bond it. The dentist in Spirit Lake can issue temporary veneers before the permanent one is ready.
Other dentists can use CAD/CAM technology to design the veneer by a computer. Your dentist can also make the right veneer right in the office.
Composite resin veneers – The dentist prepared the tooth surface before applying a thin composite resin material for composite veneers.
The dentist may also apply additional layers to achieve the intended look. It’s then cured and hardened with a special light.
No-Prep Veneers are fine veneers that include options like Lumineers and Vivaneers. These are specific porcelain veneers and are less time-consuming and less invasive to apply.
Instead of etching the tooth layers below the enamel, preparation here affects only the enamel. In many cases, no anesthesia is used during the process.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
- Natural Look and Feel – Unless you tell someone you had veneers for crooked teeth, they would never notice. This is because porcelain is custom-made to fit the existing teeth’ color, shape, and size.
- Minimal preparation – Once the enamel wears away, you cannot get it back. However, veneers require only a thin layer of the enamel to be removed. In less severe cases, the dentist will not even need anesthesia for the process.
- Stain-resistant – With veneers, your crooked teeth will look straight and attractive, but they won’t be discolored. Unlike natural tooth enamel, porcelain does not stain easily.
Customizable color shades – With porcelain veneers, your dentist can choose a custom color for your veneers to brighten dark-colored teeth.
- Little maintenance – Veneers do not require any special care as they are strong and stain-resistant. You only need to follow your routine brushing and flossing regime.
- Fix a wide range of issues – Veneers are a comprehensive cosmetic option as they can cover chips, tooth fractures, and discoloration all at once. They can even be used to cover slight gaps between front teeth.
How Do They Help Make Your Teeth Straight?
Veneers are effective for minor dental issues like tooth crookedness, discoloration, misshapen and misaligned teeth.
Your dentist must first prepare the misshapen or crooked teeth to make your teeth look straight by removing the top enamel layer. This prevents the teeth from looking too bulky when the veneer is placed.
They then make a mold of your teeth and choose the color that best matches your natural teeth. This way, the porcelain veneers always appear and shine just like your natural teeth by effectively hiding tooth stains, crookedness, and gaps. As a result, other people won’t tell if you have veneers or not.
Advantages Of Straightening Crooked Teeth with Veneers
Here are some of the undeniable advantages of using porcelain veneers for crooked teeth.
- Quick – Today, with advanced options like Lumineers and Vivaneers, you can have your teeth prepared and the veneer placed at the dentist’s office on the same day. This means you can make the appointment and return to your normal routine without disruptions, unlike other treatments like tooth bonding and crowns.
- Can change tooth color – When putting veneers in crooked teeth, you can allow your dentist to choose a veneer color brighter than your natural teeth. This makes your teeth appear brighter than before the veneer procedure.
- Can change the tooth shape – The top reason people opt for dental veneers is to change the shape of their crooked teeth. Veneers effectively transform your misshapen, misaligned, fractures, and chipped teeth into all-new-looking teeth that greatly boost your smile and self-confidence.